WorldEmber Writing Contest
11 months ago
– Mon, Dec 03, 2018 at 05:13:54 PM
I touched on this in the previous update, and this is only tangentially related to the Ironrise board game Kickstarter, but goes out to any of you fantasy/sci-fi writers out there who might get a kick out of a little contest for the month of December.
Over the last couple of years, we've become really good friends with the good people at World Anvil, which is a tool for tabletop RPG storytellers and authors. They have been significant to Ironrise, in that the underlying world/setting of the board game is housed on their site, and it makes for a fantastic source reference resource.
Anyway, Ironrise has been asked to be one of the judges for their WorldEmber 2018 event which runs the month of December to close out the year, which involves the following:
"We challenge you to write 10,000 words of brand new worldbuilding during the month of December this year to really kickstart your world and spark off your inner creative flame!
Want to know more? Check out the video and read below for the full Rules, F.A.Q. and OVER $1,000 worth of prizes!"
Good luck world builders, we'll see you on the other side of this!
Printer Progress + Other fun things
12 months ago
– Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 02:54:14 PM
It's been a while, but I don't want to fill inboxes dithering until I have meaningful reports.
First of all, progress is going well with the printer (AdMagic), as Danny continues to ready our digital assets for the big production. The game board, side boards, rulebook, chips, and character hexes are now ready for print. This leaves only the box for prep, and then a once-over on everything to see if anything was missed.
After this, we'll get an example print done, which we can look over for any issues, and when we OK that, we're good to go. Printing -> Ship to our fulfillment company (ShipBoB) -> Gather the surveys -> Ships to you.
Looking forward to sharing pictures of our physical product when we get our hands on it.
We've also got news from here and there from our friends and other people we're involved with:
1) Earworm, a fun music-guessing party game by our friends at VStheUniverse, is about to close the door on pre-orders. If you're looking for a tight, fun icebreaker, I'd recommend checking it out HERE.
2) Ed was fortunate enough to be on a fun show put on by our friend Mike, "Tabletanked". This episode sees us getting through the interesting placement/programming game, "Colt Express." There are several more episodes, and one more until the inaugural season closes. It's a fun way to learn about some games, and we were so happy to be invited.
3) As Chris continues to be an all-star over on WORLD ANVIL (a worldbuilding tool for Tabletop RPG Storytellers and Authors) - we have been asked to judge a monthly competition in December. I will post more details as the contest starts, but it will be rolling through next month, and we will be looking at the Myth & Legend category of the world building.
4) The Logan Theater in Chicago is having another Playtest Party event that we're looking forward to going to. It's been a great place to check out upcoming games in various stages of development, and if you're in the area and interested in the process, or testing some games out (board games and indie video games), I'd recommend you stop on by. The event starts this Friday, the 30th, at 7pm.
That's all for now, expect the next update will concern the World Anvil contest - so all you world builders keep your eyes peeled!
Cards Calibrated + TableTanked
about 1 year ago
– Tue, Oct 16, 2018 at 06:24:43 PM
Well the back and forth with the printer is taking longer than planned (of course), but we've now finished all the regular cards with them (the bulk of our product). The issue basically comes down to reformatting text to be set up in outline format to be compatible with the printer. It's very doable, just a bit of a slog, and busy work we should be done with soon.
Other news: I was invited on our friend Mike's show, Tabletanked, which is releasing episodes on the VStheUniverse network. It was a fun time, and I got to play an interesting game, Colt Express, alongside Melissa of Iron Galaxy Studios.
We have decided to check out GameholeCon in Madison, WI, in November. Not really sure what to expect or what to sign up for, but if anyone is up that wayand curious about a prototype of Ironrise, we'll have a couple copies on hand - send us a message!
Until next time!
Locked in with AdMagic for Printing
about 1 year ago
– Tue, Sep 18, 2018 at 11:16:41 AM
It's been a while so I figured I'd better check in to a) let you know we're still alive, and b) keep you abreast of what's happening.
We sealed the deal with AdMagic, contract is signed, and they sent us their templates for printing. Danny is finalizing getting our files/images into their standards, and should be sending those back tonight. Hopefully then this is the first of a two-part update thread where I tell you later this week that all the templates worked out and test copies are ready for print.
I'm sure there will be something we need to fix. I've backed enough games on Kickstarter that I know there's always something to fix.
Anyway, once these templates all reconcile, we then print a test copy for a final look-over, then when we come to a consensus and OK that copy, it goes to the big print, will get shipped from their facility in China to the fulfillment company (ShipBob) we're using - right here in Chicago. Then, we reconcile everything we've got from Kickstarter and BackerKit, and send them out.
It's probably worth noting that since we locked in with AdMagic, we're going for 1000 units, which does not put a limit on the number of remaining available copies.
That's what we've got for right now, I'll check back in once we see how the templates reconcile.
P.S. Anyone ever gone to GameHole Con? One of our key testers and mechanics consultants alerted me to its existence. It's in Madison, WI, and looks like a blast. Any heavily positive or negative experiences with any of you lot?
Rulebook completion + New Review
about 1 year ago
– Mon, Aug 20, 2018 at 10:00:38 AM
A couple things to report as we progress towards completion.
1) We have finished fleshing out our rulebook. There will likely still be a few edits before the final version goes to print, but it is now a complete document. We've added acknowledgments, but will probably need to add some more, as there's no way we haven't forgotten someone there.
This means that the engagement with our printer is starting in earnest, as we have every digital file needed to print a game. Updates on that forthcoming as they roll out.
2) We have another review live, this one from Joel's Cardboard Corner - part of the Boardgame Mechanics channel. Check it out below.