Test Copy has Arrived
29 days ago
– Sun, Apr 28, 2019 at 06:50:06 PM
Good news - our test/proof copy has arrived! We are very happy with how the game has turned out, and impressed with the quality of the components. Here's a rough/informal unboxing:
We're going to spend a few days combing through the proof, making sure everything reconciles and that there are no manufacturing errors. Then hopefully soon, the final OK - and the full run (2,000 copies) begins.
about 2 months ago
– Tue, Apr 02, 2019 at 01:31:01 PM
It's been a while, so you deserve an update. Obviously, March came and went, and we have not yet fulfilled. We're very sorry about that, we thought it was a fairly safe conservative guess of when things would be done, but this is our first time doing this sort of thing, and we were wrong.
I can't really point to one thing in particular that's created the delay, it's sort of a mix of a lot of things that we ended up having to revisit, along with other things out of our hands.
Well, the good news is that this is being fulfilled (just late). I could take a guess as to when everything will be done, but it would just be a guess. It *seems* like we're right at the end:
-We have approved the final digital proofs and the printer (AdMagic) has sent everything over to the manufacturer. So, it's being manufactured either now, or very soon.
-We are finalizing the shipping and packaging choices with the fulfillment company (ShipBob) this week. That shouldn't really have any impact on your end, as you've already paid for shipping - just has to do with the sort of shipping box this beautiful game will show up in, and some warehousing particulars.
Oh, and for what it's worth, we got a proof of the rulebook! We wanted to make sure everything went together properly and read OK, and we're very happy with the proof (see below).
I'll be back in touch with any relevant updates - I think the next likely one will be when the first units come off the line.
Thanks so much for your patience,
Test Copy on the Way to Print + Street Wizardry
4 months ago
– Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 05:24:06 PM
We hit a fairly important milestone, so I figured it deserved an update here. I'm trying not to pepper you with too many meaningless things, while still letting you know how we are moving forward.
After several back and forth exchanges with AdMagic's art department, getting some color shading, and sizing things tweaked, we sent what could be our final version of files over for them to have a look at. They have accepted these files and sent to their print unit, which will be making a proof copy (or maybe 2) so we can check how everything comes out, not as a home made prototype, but the proper "retail" version.
I believe we'll get to see that proof pretty soon, and then things should move forward as planned. The only big foreseeable bump is the Chinese New Year (Feb 5th - 新年快乐!) which I know from experience (as a backer of Kickstarter board games more than anything) can cause a lot of chain delays in how things move along.
We're zeroing in on making some final determinations re: the World Ember writing contest for World Anvil. It's been a lot of fun seeing how many other people world build, and there have been some very interesting submissions. It's a great honor for us to be judges in this event for such a successful site.
Something else really great - some friends of ours just recently had their web series put up on Amazon - The Street Wizards Apprentice. We were fortunate enough to have the director of this series, Andrew Melzer, direct the Ironrise Kickstarter promo. You might also recognize Elise in the intro of this series, who did costuming work (for both Street Wizard and Ironrise). It's short, sweet, and good for a laugh.
WorldEmber Writing Contest
6 months ago
– Mon, Dec 03, 2018 at 05:13:54 PM
I touched on this in the previous update, and this is only tangentially related to the Ironrise board game Kickstarter, but goes out to any of you fantasy/sci-fi writers out there who might get a kick out of a little contest for the month of December.
Over the last couple of years, we've become really good friends with the good people at World Anvil, which is a tool for tabletop RPG storytellers and authors. They have been significant to Ironrise, in that the underlying world/setting of the board game is housed on their site, and it makes for a fantastic source reference resource.
Anyway, Ironrise has been asked to be one of the judges for their WorldEmber 2018 event which runs the month of December to close out the year, which involves the following:
"We challenge you to write 10,000 words of brand new worldbuilding during the month of December this year to really kickstart your world and spark off your inner creative flame!
Want to know more? Check out the video and read below for the full Rules, F.A.Q. and OVER $1,000 worth of prizes!"
Good luck world builders, we'll see you on the other side of this!
Printer Progress + Other fun things
6 months ago
– Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 02:54:14 PM
It's been a while, but I don't want to fill inboxes dithering until I have meaningful reports.
First of all, progress is going well with the printer (AdMagic), as Danny continues to ready our digital assets for the big production. The game board, side boards, rulebook, chips, and character hexes are now ready for print. This leaves only the box for prep, and then a once-over on everything to see if anything was missed.
After this, we'll get an example print done, which we can look over for any issues, and when we OK that, we're good to go. Printing -> Ship to our fulfillment company (ShipBoB) -> Gather the surveys -> Ships to you.
Looking forward to sharing pictures of our physical product when we get our hands on it.
We've also got news from here and there from our friends and other people we're involved with:
1) Earworm, a fun music-guessing party game by our friends at VStheUniverse, is about to close the door on pre-orders. If you're looking for a tight, fun icebreaker, I'd recommend checking it out HERE.
2) Ed was fortunate enough to be on a fun show put on by our friend Mike, "Tabletanked". This episode sees us getting through the interesting placement/programming game, "Colt Express." There are several more episodes, and one more until the inaugural season closes. It's a fun way to learn about some games, and we were so happy to be invited.
3) As Chris continues to be an all-star over on WORLD ANVIL (a worldbuilding tool for Tabletop RPG Storytellers and Authors) - we have been asked to judge a monthly competition in December. I will post more details as the contest starts, but it will be rolling through next month, and we will be looking at the Myth & Legend category of the world building.
4) The Logan Theater in Chicago is having another Playtest Party event that we're looking forward to going to. It's been a great place to check out upcoming games in various stages of development, and if you're in the area and interested in the process, or testing some games out (board games and indie video games), I'd recommend you stop on by. The event starts this Friday, the 30th, at 7pm.
That's all for now, expect the next update will concern the World Anvil contest - so all you world builders keep your eyes peeled!